MacOSX applications need both specific libraries (based on the Openstep/Cocoa API) and a specific runtime system that runs objective-C based apps. While the API is open, the libraries (called frameworks) and the runtime are proprietaty.

Furthermore, these binaries are compiled for the PowerPC architecture. You cannot run them without emulating that hardware, unless you port FreeBSD to the PPC architecture.

Slightly off-topic, there is actually a port of the OpenStep API (and its runtime) to unix called GnuStep (www.gnustep.org) It aims at recreating the NeXT environment on unix systems. You can basically build program for both unix/gnustep and MacOSX from the same code, as long as you use features present in both (which is the case for standard Cocoa frameworks). Of course, if you try using Apple specific/proprietary API, you can't, at least not unless providing a replacement for them, which should be quite feasible if you have equivalent C libs on unix.

A good exemple is the GnuMail application, which runs on both from the same code base.

RaphaŽl

Le Mercredi, 30 juil 2003, ŗ 01:33 Europe/Zurich, Rod Person a ťcrit :

Today I went to an Adobe seminar. All demos where done on OS X. I kept think that it looked a lot like KDE and of course I got to thinking...

Can applications such as Acrobat and Illustrator run on FreeBSD? Since OS X userland is based on FreeBSD it seemed to me there should be a chance of it, is there? I'm think these would not be as hard, but do to the MACH kernel on OS X, I'm not sure. Does anyone know? I also wonder if this would work with Darwin either. But the last I tried Darwin it would not run on my hardware. I'm I just crazy or is there a chance of this?

I also wonder is there a OS X emulator anywhere in the works or future?

-- Rod

@ Home So No Cool Signature
http://opensourcebeef.bsd.st