On Friday 09 April 2004 01:00 pm, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 09:14:07PM +0200, Andreas Davour wrote:
> > On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Andrew L. Gould wrote:
> > > On Friday 09 April 2004 01:55 pm, Andreas Davour wrote:
> >
> > [snip]

> > > Did you remember to execute 'pkgdb -Uu' after cvsup and before
> > > portupgrade?
> >
> > So be quite frank, I have no idea! I think I followed all
> > instructions quite litterally. But portupgrade was mentioned in the
> > handbook and the "cookbook" examples I found on the web differed
> > somewhat. I no longer remembered if I did a 'pkgdb -Uu' or not.
> >
> > I there any telltale signs showing in the narrative in my first
> > post that indicates I forgot it? Is it recommendable I run it now
> > then?
> >
> > /andreas
>
>       If I can offer a practical tip re cvsu'ing and running 'pkgdb
>       -Uu', why not script it and run it out of cron?  That's how I
>       make sure tht my ports tree is neat nd clean.

I run a cvsup of ports-all on a machine I usually use for testing. If
something breaks down, I have the other machines to recover it from. I
log everything and convert it into html using Ben Smithurst's cvsuplog.
Then, I upade my INDEX[-5] and INDEX.db; however, before I build the
new INDEX, I convert the current INDEX into a bzip2'ed file and keep 3
backups. A major disaster building INDEX is easily overcome by
unzipping one of the backups and the appropriate INDEX.

>       When I do a portupgrade, my script runs pkgdb -F as a first
>       steps.  ...Just my dime's worth.

My dimes worth is that I won't run anything in a cronjob that may
require an answer from me. I also don't run pkgdb -F until portupgrade
tells me to do that. Since it updates the information when it is doing
upgrades, you only need to do it when it really has to be done.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA