On Sat, 16 Nov 2013, Thomas Mueller wrote:

I see in the man page for ath, and assume much would apply to other wireless
adapters,

    Create an 802.11g host-based access point:

          ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev ath0 wlanmode hostap
          ifconfig wlan0 inet 192.168.0.10 netmask 0xffffff00 ssid my_ap \
                  mode 11g

but would the access point, with wired connection, have or use the wireless
adapter?

"hostap" is to make a FreeBSD system with a wireless card into a wireless router.

Access point, if I understand correctly, would have a wired connection, such as cable or DSL, and the other computer, with the wireless adapter, would have the Atheros or other wireless adapter.

No, a router generally has at least two network interfaces. A FreeBSD wireless router would have both wired and wireless interfaces.