On Dec 17, 2007 7:15 AM, William Allen Simpson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Daniel Markstedt wrote:
> > Agreed. This was actually discussed last year or early this year, but
> > nothing came out of it at the time. Using the nation name would also
> > have the benefit of making it easier to figure out what player the
> > message is about. As it stands, unless the leader is famous enough or
> > unless you're a serious history buff, it can often be hard to
> > associate leader name and nation.
> >
> I searched for possessive in the subject lines in RT, and the body of the
> past two years of messages, but didn't find anything.  PR#?
>
> This is probably important since leader names are not translated.

The closest thing I could find was #19049 -- thanks to gmail's inbox search. :)

> Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, player->name is one of the many
> remaining things without an access function, so they'll have to be fixed
> on an /ad hoc/ basis as they are found....  I'll add new access functions
> for them (as found).
>
> This is something I can do for 2.1.2 this week.

In the scope of S2_1?

> > I made an extensive overhaul of all nationsets about two years ago and
> > standardized on singular->adjective and plural->noun. Something could
> > have been overlooked, though, so feel free to verify.
> >
> OK.  Since nation_name_translation() and nation_plural_translation() *are*
> only used via access functions (because I made an extensive overhaul 6
> months ago), I'll check all uses for grammar.  Sorry, when I was fixing
> the many misuses of translation or non-translation, I wasn't also checking
> each context for grammar, and was trying very hard not to make changes to
> any translation strings (mostly un-marking strings in freelog() calls).
>
> This is something I can do for 2.1.2 this evening, so that translators
> can look for any mistakes this week.

Fine, but please communicate with the translators if you end up
fuzzying a bunch of strings. I told them yesterday that they have
about a dozen fuzzies to resolve for 2.1.2.

> > It is documented in fact, in doc/README.nations under 'Nation naming'.
> > I guess it would be worth mentioning it in the wiki too, though.
> >
> I meant in the code, too....  To be honest, I didn't even think to look in
> doc/README.nations or the wiki for code writing, and it's changed since
> last time I'd added a nation.  The code actually says single and plural.
> I'll change it to specify adjective.
>
> Anyway, good work!

Sounds like a good idea to clarify this in code.

In any case, this is an area where a major overhaul is needed. Looking
at my native Swedish I have noted several shortcomings with the
current system, for example in the areas of capitalization and gender.
The former Swedish translator proposed the following solution over
seven years ago:
http://lists.complete.org/freeciv-dev%40freeciv.org/2000/08/msg00493.html.gz

 ~Daniel