After some experimentation, there are at least two problems related to  the
way this binary is installed:

1) The freetype library that is in the application bundle is permitted as
"read & write" for the user who installed the package, all others get "No
Access".  I'm not yet sure why this is the only library to be treated this
way.

2) The installer puts a "Freeciv" folder in ~/Documents/ for the user who
installed the package.  This folder contains all rulesets, icons, soundsets,
etc.  Naturally, all other users won't be able to access this, and thus can't
run the game.  Obviously, this is sub-optimal.  I think in the future we will
have put this in the application bundle and perhaps make a link to the user's
Documents folder in case they wish to make additions.

In the meanwhile, this binary *should* work when installed by the user who
intends to play the game.