> The problem is the size of the first line and the alignment.
> At the moment the city name (+ population + status) moves
> around if one switches the city. How can it be fixed to start
> at half the width of the window?

This is trivial. If you want the text to be centred in the right half you
only need to change "hbox = gtk_hbox_new(FALSE, 0);" to "hbox =
gtk_hbox_new(TRUE, 0);".
If you want the text to be left-aligned in the right half you will
additionally have to add
"gtk_misc_set_alignment(GTK_MISC(pdialog->name_label), 0.0f, 0.5f);" to the
"/**** City name label here ****/" section.

Attaching an updated patch as well as a backport to the 2.2 branch. (The
backport is mainly for my own use, as I want it in the 2.2 deb I use on my
netbook, but if you want to commit it to svn feel free to do so).

(file #9307, file #9308)

Additional Item Attachment:

File name: freeciv-trunk-move-citizen-bar-next-to-city-name-v2.patch Size:10
KB
File name: freeciv-2.2-move-citizen-bar-next-to-city-name-v2.patch Size:5 KB