Hello everyone,

First, I'd like to say that you've done a nice job on the latest release
of Freeciv. I also see that some nice progress on longturn Freeciv has
been done. Longturn is something that I think has a lot of potential, and
is something that I think could be improved a lot. In particular, I
would like Longturn games to have more MMO-properties, such as
more players, longer-running games and some changes to the game rules.
Here are some questions about that:

* New players:
How is continuous new player spawning implemented, and how does new
players effect the game-balance? How can a new player compete against
another player who has played for example 500 turns already?

* Very large maps:
For Longturn games, I think it should be possible to have much larger
maps. This would allow many more players to play simulaneously. There
seems to be a limit of 256x256 tiles at the moment. I have done some
experiments with maps of 1024x1024 tiles, but I get mostly segmentation
faults.

* Large number of simultaneous playsers:
What are the main limitations be for having a very large ammount of
players at the same time? Some objects and bitvectors set sime limitations
here. Also, there aren't enough flags to have a very large number of
players.

* Server architecture:
The current single-threaded architecture of the Freeciv server will also
be a limitation for large Longturn games. The server should probably be
multithreaded to be more scalable. Would this be realistic?

--
Andreas R.
http://www.freeciv.net/