On Wed, 30 Jun 2010, Matthias Pfafferodt wrote:
> Am Wednesday 30 June 2010 19:34:48 schrieb John Wilson:
>>> * Very large maps:
>>> For Longturn games, I think it should be possible to have much larger
>>> maps. This would allow many more players to play simulaneously. There
>>> seems to be a limit of 256x256 tiles at the moment. I have done some
>>> experiments with maps of 1024x1024 tiles, but I get mostly segmentation
>>> faults.
>>
>> A while ago I requested the max map size to be raised from 29 to 30 in bug
>> #14661 and pepeto said this:
>>
>>  "As far as I know, the maximum number of tiles is (2^15 - 1) because on
>> some
>> places, the code assume the tile index is an signed short integer (e.g.
>> path finding code).
>>
>> The size is automatically adjusted on the generator, and usually you don't
>> get exactly the number of tiles you requested.  So, a margin must be hold."
>>
>> Maybe that gives a little more insight.
>
> Yes, I did checked the code. If one wants to change the maximal number of
> tiles (= map size) a lot of code has to be rewritten. If you take the numbers
> it would be possible to go up to (2^15 - 1) = 32767 tiles.
>
> If I remember correctly, one could replace the signed short integer by a
> signed integer. This would increase the possible map size to 2^31 - 1 but
> would also increase the calculation time for the path finding code as well as
> the memory requirement.

I'm very positive to increasing the maximum map size, and also maximum
number of players. Would anyone be interested in creating a patch to
increase the maximum map size and player limit?

It could be a compile-time configuration-option if necessary. As Matthias
said, it would require changes to the path-finding code. I think it would
also require changes to the map generators, and rendering of the overview
map in the clients.

Regards,
Andreas R.