---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Wilson <mt.kine...@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:34 AM
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Longturn Freeciv
To: Matthias Pfafferodt <matthias.pfaffer...@mapfa.de>

>* Very large maps:
>For Longturn games, I think it should be possible to have much larger
>maps. This would allow many more players to play simulaneously. There
>seems to be a limit of 256x256 tiles at the moment. I have done some
>experiments with maps of 1024x1024 tiles, but I get mostly segmentation
>faults.

A while ago I requested the max map size to be raised from 29 to 30 in bug
#14661 and pepeto said this:

 "As far as I know, the maximum number of tiles is (2^15 - 1) because on
some
places, the code assume the tile index is an signed short integer (e.g. path
finding code).

The size is automatically adjusted on the generator, and usually you don't
get exactly the number of tiles you requested.  So, a margin must be hold."

Maybe that gives a little more insight.