Am Sunday 11 July 2010 05:48:23 schrieb Karl Goetz:
> On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 13:46:29 +0200
>
> Matthias Pfafferodt <matthias.pfaffer...@mapfa.de> wrote:
> > Am Saturday 10 July 2010 13:10:28 schrieb Matthias Pfafferodt:
> > > Hello all developers of freeciv,
> > >
> > > today I submitted some big changes to trunk:
> > >
> > > * increase map size to 128.000 (max linear size 512)
> > > * increase max number of players to 28
> >
> > should be 128!
>
> That will be a busy game!

And a big savefile! Uncompressed around 150MB (bigger map size and lots of
players). Most of the time is spend compressing the file ...

> > > * new savegame format (use 'set saveversion -1' to get a savegame
> > > in the old format). A script to test the new format can be found at
> > > https://gna.org/patch/?1541. It converts a savegame between the
> > > different formats and compares them. There should only be
> > > differences in the event cache. Due to some processing while
> > > sections.
>
> What will happen on clients which don't support the new format (I
> assume everything up to 2.2.1)? Will they crash, or simply refuse to
> load the files?

old games will refuse to load the new save file due to a required capability
(I hope '+version2' does this?!). If you want to use such a game with an old
version you have to load it in 2.2.99+ and save it in the old format.

> I note from the ticket the formats are convertable, so will it be worth
> shipping the conversion scripts with newer versions of freeciv?
> kk

Converting is done by freeciv itself (set saveversion -1). The script is used
to test if the converting is working (it takes one savegame and does some
cycles of loading/saving in different formats [old/new] and compares the
results).