I think the main issue is that the 'Modern' group doesn't mean 'nations that
existed in the modern era (1500-present)' but 'nations that exist right now'.
The Medieval group ends in 1500 so that means there is no grouping for nations
that existed between 1500 and 2010. The simplest and least controversial way to
deal with that would be to rename 'Modern' 'Contemporary' (or 'Current') and
add a new Modern group for the 1500-2010 (or 1500-2000 if you prefer). That
would be less confusing as well; currently a lot of nations that don't exist
any more but that did exist for some time after 1500 are grouped under Modern
by the people who contribute them. I don't really care if the post-1500 period
is split up in two or not, but there really should be at least one extra
grouping to cover the era. I guess the only problem would be that all
contemporary nations would also be grouped under modern and that the modern
group would be vast (which could be fixed by splitting it up around 1800
anyway).

Eurocentrism is not really an issue IMO, at least not for the 'Modern' (/'Early
Modern') grouping. One of the most remarkable characteristics of the modern
(/early modern) era is that during that period much of the world was brought
under European control; for a lot of non-western nations there was a big
rupture as well around 1500 when they were discovered and/or overrun by
Europeans. I think 'Medieval' is much more of an Eurocentric term, that really
doesn't make sense in a non-European context. 'China during the Middle Ages' is
as nonsensical as 'France during the Tang dynasty'. I can't really think of an
alternative for Medieval though.