Follow-up Comment #2, task #7334 (project freeciv):

After investigating the issue it seems that there would be no benefit from
switching to cairo drawing in gtk2-client before branching gtk3-client. Even
if gtk2-client would use cairo based drawing code, it would be very different
from what gtk3-client will use. Gtk2-client needs to be backward compatible to
earlier cairo and gtk2 versions, but gtk3-client requires that non-deprecated
ways are used.

So, one more patch to commit to gtk2-client and then we are ready for
branching. Any objections, or can I do it in a couple of days?

  <http://gna.org/task/?7334>