> Conversely, the effect of fixing this bug is that any big-endian
> server operators will effectively lose all their passwords
> (unless we put in a backwards-compatibility wart). Probably not
> one to drop into a stable release update, then.

Actually, as a server operator I'd hate to lose my user base even between
major releases. Also, in the past, and maybe in the future, I've run several
versions concurrently using same database. Some players are "locked" to
certain versions (one that comes with their distribution), others switch
between versions depending who (of the "locked" players) they play against.