Update of bug #18170 (project freeciv):

                Category:                    None => general
                 Release:                         => 2.2.5,2.3.0-beta4
        Operating System:                    None => Any
         Planned Release:                         => 2.3.0,2.4.0
broken on big-endian machines (e.g., sparc64)

Follow-up Comment #9:

Attached a WIP patch. This isn't a candidate for committing.

As threatened, I've replaced Ulrich Drepper's MD5 code with Solar Designer's.
I've implemented a controllable bug-compatibility mode for old databases from
big-endian servers, but I've not plumbed it in to be configurable from the
database config file yet. There's also other tidying still to be done, and
porting to S2_3.

I've verified that it gives correct and correctly-wrong answers in the test
case from comment #1 (with the attached test patch, which spits out answers
when the server is run):

2: AI*5 has been added as Easy level AI-controlled player.
>9743a66f914cc249efca164485a19c5c<
>2278ce9519b2223ecb2e2a2237e6d006<
2: Now accepting new client connections.

@akfaew: Can you test this patch on your sparc64 machine? I've only tested
this on my little-endian x86_64. It *should* be portable, but... You should
see the same result as I did above. Patch applies to latest trunk.

(file #13231, file #13232)

File name: trunk-md5-WIP.diff             Size:32 KB
File name: trunk-md5-test-hack.diff       Size:0 KB