I'm tempted to do something really annoying from common client code side of
view - implement update_rect_at_mouse_pos as '{}' and just handle it in
move_mapcanvas.

Initial tests look good - that is as I select things with mouse, the rectangle
seems to be drawn at correct time and place.

What does "Called by center_tile_mapcanvas().." part of its description refers
to (just to make sure the test is close to complete) ?

Also, I've noticed something odd (both in gtk3 and gtk2): once a unit is
selected, cpu usage instantly spikes. I suspect it has something to do with
selection circle under the unit, but need to find the place where it's drawn
first.