Well, here's a funny thing: while tinkering with update_rect_at_mouse_pos, I
thought I've made a regression, but gtk2 client seems to have the same
problem.

Holding right mouse button, select an area. Without releasing the button,
scroll with mouse wheel. When you stop scrolling, move the mouse a bit, while
not releasing the button - observe part one of the problem. Now release it -
second part of the problem (selection rectangle is drawn till map_canvas gets
redrawn).

On a semi-related note: is toggle_focus_unit_state the function responsible
for drawing focus circle ?

Also, it seems I'll go into total grid conversion, including converting *all*
the boxes into grids. Crazy, ain't it ?

But I wonder: it seems that there's a good chance to make
a few options switchable without restart via  gtk_orientable_set_orientation
(that's gtk+ 2.16, actually).
I'll go back to this idea once I'm done with grids.