> If we're going to have such a mode, possibly the unit should
> stop and wait for orders the first time it runs out of unknown
> territory to explore, and pressing X again will instruct it to
> go into this new mode (which will never terminate).

I were considering that too, but from my own autoexplorer using experience I
think it's not good enough. I often press 'x' just to see if autoexplorer
would still find some work. With it automatically determining mode, it could
end to new mode when I wanted old one. Such situations arise as new units are
acquired by any means (could this new unit explore?) or enemy units move to
open passage to new areas for autoexplorers already finished with old areas.