Unless I'm mistaken, current spy action enablers are checked before even
attempting the action (they answer the question "can I attempt the action?".
For something that player does not know if it requirement is fulfilled or not,
there could be also risk associated. Player can attempt such an action, but it
will fail, costing at least movement for the spy, maybe life.
Note that for example paradropping works that way - if someone has transformed
land under fog of war to ocean, player can still paradrop unit to its death.