>Units transported by triremes sailing on a river loose all their move points
ATM the trireme moves.
Such feature would be an improvement, but it'd not prevent all the issues
about transported units.
For example, a unit does not require move points to be unloaded and loaded to
other transport in the same river tile (or inside a city), so chained movement
would be still possible.

Anyway, if the only purpose of triremes on rivers is to increase the movement
of units, this can be simulated with the reduced costs of the movement along
the river tiles, that requires much less micromanaging. The same than rails
does not require a train unit in order to take advantage of the extra
movement.

>I attach a draft patch
Now that I opened your patch, I'm not sure if it is worth to introduce a whole
new unit class just for this purpose.

>I vaguely wonder about doing something to weed out old Riverboat units, ...
or giving them zero moves in the new ruleset but allowing them to be disbanded
for production points
I like how it sounds.
An intermediate solution could be to decrease the movement points to 1 when on
river, so it is not worth to use triremes further inland, but only near the
coast. I'll test it.