Hi!

2-Ноя-2005 23:00 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gregory Pietsch) wrote to
freedos-devel@lists.sourceforge.net:

>> - Input/output functions to replace <stdio.h> by <io.h> (aka replace
>> FILE*-based I/O by handle-based one)
GP> Personally, I don't know if this is a good optimization because
GP> <stdio.h> is Standard C, while <io.h> is an extension. It should be
GP> possible to mimic the functions in <io.h> with the functions in
GP> <stdio.h> just by turning off the buffering on the FILE* (the standard
GP> function setbuf() and setvbuf() set the file's buffering).

     Issue with replacing stdio.h by io.h is in reducing depth of function
calls (and, thus, minimize overheads and get more control over callings),
because io.h is nearer to DOS functions. The more so, stdio.h doesn't
contains some required functins (or they are unportable), like
findfirst()/_dosfindfirst().

GP> The whole point of buffering is to minimize calls to the operating
GP> system to do reads and writes.

     Buffering itself is need only when transferring big amounts, and there
you may use explicit buffers (especially if you already use fread()).

GP> If you think stdio is bad, wait until you get to C++; iostreams are worse.

     Much, much more worser.