Mike, I like your suggestions.  One thing that always bothered me
about dos versions that have come out since ms dropped the ball is
their complete lack of inovation.  I realize there's only so much
that can be done if you're intending to keep 100 percent
compatibility, but still, it's not hard to imagine such details as
enumerated here.
One thing I wonder is why nobody builds a dos multitasker that simply
spawns a new virtual 386 machine for each new dos task.  That would
keep 100 percent compatibility, and still allow complete and free
multitasking.  The virtual 386 machines would take care of
virtualizing keyboards and video output automatically, since it's all
built into the 386 hardware.  I'm fairly certain, none of that
ability has been removed with the newer cores and such.
I see no reason why this sort of thing couldn't work.  I'm not
positive, but I think this is the approach vmix386 took, and why it
worked so well (at least with my testing) it would be fantastic to
have such an os.

Another thing I wonder, is why it is that nobody has built anything
that allows executing of multiple oses on a single computer, using
one cpu core for each os, thereby allowing each os to run natively on
it's own cpu, thus eliminating the need to vertualize anything
(except perhaps output and input), but then each and every os would
have it's own cpu, and all of them would run at full native speeds.
Then you could have as many oses running as you have cpu cores to
handle them.
(still waiting) I guess someone will do it eventually, but until they
do, I'll stick with my osx machine, and my several dos boxes
scattered everywhere. :)