There was a project, quite some time ago, it was called "LiDos". I liked
the idea very much:

It was a very simple Linux distro runing Dosemu at boot time. You could
switch to a bare Linux console and use Linux Commands. Unfortunatly it
was Slackware based and had too many modifications, so when the original
author abandoned nobody was able to continue.

We could make something similar, based on something more main-line like
Debian... I am willing to help, but I don't know how to setup a minimum
Linux BUT with the capability of detecting all possible Hardware...

I am already working on a VM with a Debian+Lxde to run Dosemu with some
predifined configurations like networking and charsets.

Alain