On 9/14/2011 7:31 AM, Travis Siegel wrote:
> Mike, I like your suggestions.  One thing that always bothered me
> about dos versions that have come out since ms dropped the ball is
> their complete lack of inovation.  I realize there's only so much
> that can be done if you're intending to keep 100 percent
> compatibility, but still, it's not hard to imagine such details as
> enumerated here.
> One thing I wonder is why nobody builds a dos multitasker that simply
> spawns a new virtual 386 machine for each new dos task.  That would
> keep 100 percent compatibility, and still allow complete and free
> multitasking.  The virtual 386 machines would take care of
> virtualizing keyboards and video output automatically, since it's all
> built into the 386 hardware.  I'm fairly certain, none of that
> ability has been removed with the newer cores and such.
> I see no reason why this sort of thing couldn't work.  I'm not
> positive, but I think this is the approach vmix386 took, and why it
> worked so well (at least with my testing) it would be fantastic to
> have such an os.

What I suggested earlier can be implemented using the virtual 386 mode.
The difference is that instead of running several virtual 386s
independently, the DOS kernel within the virtual 386 can
coordinate/share resources with other DOS kernels running concurrently.
This gives the illusion of true multitasking in DOS while keeping
separate hardware resources so that the ill-behaved programs we love so
much can still touch all of the hardware and memory in their address space.

The other, more modern alternative is to use KVM/QEMU and the hardware
support built into the more recent x86 processors.  This setup is used
by other virtualization environments, and KVM/QEMU have the advantage
that the guest OS (our DOS kernel) can do "magic" syscalls to ask for an
assist from the host OS (Linux).  It allows us to move a lot of the DOS
kernel into KVM/QEMU where you have a much better programming
environment (Linux), resources, etc.

> Another thing I wonder, is why it is that nobody has built anything
> that allows executing of multiple oses on a single computer, using
> one cpu core for each os, thereby allowing each os to run natively on
> it's own cpu, thus eliminating the need to vertualize anything
> (except perhaps output and input), but then each and every os would
> have it's own cpu, and all of them would run at full native speeds.
> Then you could have as many oses running as you have cpu cores to
> handle them.
> (still waiting) I guess someone will do it eventually, but until they
> do, I'll stick with my osx machine, and my several dos boxes
> scattered everywhere. :)

I'm sure somebody does that, but that is more of hard partitioning
scheme than a virtualization scheme.  PowerPC machines can do that
(LPAR) as do large IBM mainframes.

Mike