On 9/15/2011 9:02 PM, Jim Michaels wrote:
linux is not resurrectable after a forced power-off. I want an OS that _can_handle_that_. I don't know about you guys, but this is a BIG ISSUE to me (recoverability). if your filesystem and OS is blotto after such an event, or you can't fix your filesystem in case of catastrophe, what good is that? you have lost all your precious data, and you have to reinstall your OS to boot (no pun intended).

I don't mind telling the OS to shutdown. everybody does that nowadays. I wouldn't even mind a shutdown command (hey, it's dos-ish).

Modern OSes need to be told to shut down because they are potentially holding things in memory that need to be flushed to disk. This is a performance improvement. If you don't want the performance improvement then you can agressively flush things to disk and get DOS like performance. ;-0

And in general, I think any of the Linux filesystems (especially EXT3 and newer) recover from power off events far better than FAT does. FAT is very fragile in comparison.

DOS is usually safe to power down without warning because, well, it's just not doing anything ...

Mike