On 5/24/2015 2:29 AM, Mateusz Viste wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Not sure that anybody cares about this, but just in case - I recently
> tested the 1-diskette FreeDOS distribution "ODIN" on an 8086 PC, and
> spotted a few more or less serious problems.
>
> I got the ODIN image from odin.fdos.org, and more specifically this:
> http://odin.fdos.org/fdodin06.8088.zip
>
> Now, here goes the list.
>

> MEM: The command MEM is missing.
Ok...
> MEMA: Prints out garbage to screen and quits.
What is MEMA?
> KEYB: immediately crash with "Runtime error 105 at 0000:252F"
Do you use any country modifier? If so, it's bug in KEYB opening up the
language/country file NOT in a read-only mode, showing up due to having
the floppy disk write protected...
> DEFRAG: Blanks the entire screen, and freezes
Don't think that program work at all, in a useful way, anyway
> SORT: Freezes. When executed with "DIR | SORT" it tries to write
> something to my diskette (!) that I had write protected, fortunately.
To be expected on a write protected disk, as it uses a temporary file on
the "current" disk for the piped output that needs to be sorted
> MORE: Exactly same symptoms as SORT.
ditto.

> DIR: When using DIR/P, DIR seems to think that the screen is 1-row high,
> and asks for a keypress for every line (the screen is CGA-based, 25 rows).
That must be some issue with your PC, works fine for me and should not
be related to 8086 code or not at all...
> MODE: MODE MONO makes the screen blank. Had to type in blindly "MODE
> BW80" to recover. Might not be a bug, but would be nice if MODE could
> check if a given mode is supported, before running it.
Would have to test but that could be "compatible" behaviour with MS-DOS...

Ralf

---