Open Watcom will generate 16 bit DOS binaries from any host platform that
you run it on.  All of my code is developed on Windows 7 using Open Watcom,
generating code for the 16 bit DOS target.

I use DOSbox for quick testing.  For this code a virtual machine is
appropriate.  Setup networking in the virtual machine or some sort of host
/ guest shared drive and the file transfer becomes less painful.

If anybody has questions about Open Watcom I'm happy to share what I know.
Yes, there is a learning curve.  But it is worth it.