On 19.05.2020 02:07, perditi...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2020, 3:58 PM thraex <thr...@numericable.fr
> <mailto:thr...@numericable.fr>> wrote:
>
> I understand both sides, from a translator perspective, having a single

I can only talk about the translator's perspective as I can't code
(except some broken Python stuff and... CBM BASIC :)

> So my questions:
> What is the best format for translators?
> utf8 po/pot file, code page specific catgets format (i.e. current format
> for many of the programs), some json, csv, or xml format, ???

UTF-8 po/pot file ? Yes, yes, yes! :) That's a well supported standard
which would allow to use already existing tools (poedit) and websites
(see below).

> Where should these translations be stored including how to update and
> download?
> The fd-nls GitHub page, a new GitHub page, try and revive the fd-local
> Sourceforge site, try and join another open source projects translation
> site, ???

I'd suggest a centralized website for which development (and development
tools) knowledge wouldn't be necessary, so that more people can
contribute. And like you said, it would be nice to link to that project
site from FreeDOS' "How to contribute" page
(<http://www.freedos.org/contribute/>).

I personally like Weblate (<https://weblate.org/>). It's free software,
everyone can host their copy, there are many translators who are
familiar with it and already contributing to various projects hosted on
the official site. On the l10n side you don't need to know git or svn
and that's a plus IMHO. Just read the string and associated notes,
translate, and leave all the dirty work to the developer.

> I am willing to convert all the current programs that are part of FDOS
> GitHub site that lack upstream maintainers to do this.  That is, submit
> a source set of messages and current translations of appropriate format
> to shared site and then download and convert back for releases.

Wow, that's going to be a lot of work I guess. Thank you. Encouraging
current maintainers to join the workflow would make sense IMHO.

> Maybe freedos-local is what I want and I just didn't contribute to it's
> success.  I appreciated it.

http://freedoslocal.sf.net/ had some shortcomings: the uploads had to me
made via svn (Mateusz had kindly explained to me how to use it) the
conversion to the proper code pages from UTF-8 or the completion status
updates weren't automatic and so on. But it was a great resource. If he
reads this thread, Mateusz can certainly provide more information.