On 19.05.2020 02:52, Eric Auer wrote:

> Of course it would also be nice to have a central point for the
> translators: Somebody would have to collect all translatable code
> bits from the individual packages (NOT normalizing it into single
> file formats if you ask me) and put them in a repositore. When a

Er, may I ask why you don't want to normalize into a single file format?
I guess it's not easy on the i18n and conversion side of things, but for
translators having a gettext po file is much more efficient. No need to
navigate a plain text file to spot missing translations or new strings
that need to be translated, decent tools either on the translation
websites or on the desktop (poedit) and so on.

> translator submits changes, the repository maintainer could then
> distribute the changes back to the package maintainers or, if no
> maintainer is active, make fresh packages themselves for ibiblio.
>
> That would require a translation coordinator to exist and feel
> like doing this (...)

That was exactly the goal of freedoslocal, that's why I miss it.

> PS: Who ran freedoslocal.sf.net and what happened to it?

As you can see on its front page, the culprit was Mateusz Viste :)
He stated that "As of December 2016, this project is abandoned. No
further translation updates will be managed. I decided to give up on
freedoslocal in favor of Svarog386, hence this website has been frozen,
and will likely stay so unless someone with a FreeDOS-centric background
would be willing to take over it."