> PS: You could also compare EDRDOS+UIDE with FreeDOS+UIDE.

IIRC I tested some caches in the past. Result: NO SPEEDUP at all for a
single big file.

> the data are useless :(

NOT that bad ...

> unless dos386 describes what program(s) he used

My silly FATPLUS.EXE maybe ???

> on what hardware to produce these results

Almost documented: ATA-33 and XDMA

> does not specify which int21 functions

Block size 56 KiB | AH=$3F AH=$40 ???
http://www.ctyme.com/intr/rb-2783.htm Hadn't known there would be more ...

> Shouldn't it be sufficient to seek to the desired size (as offset), then
 > do a write with length zero there? (Writing with length zero extends or
 > truncates the file to the current seek offset.)

Not yet tested the sparse hack ... my bad :-(

--