Most FreeDOS kernels released so far were UPX'ed and not un-UPX'able.

The kernel "almost-2040" included on 1.1test3 CD distro is NOT UPX'ed.

Problem: with UPX'ed kernel, you can't check the version without
booting the kernel.

Suggestion: at the beginning or end of the file, add a string allowing to
identify the kernel with compile date and other crucial info:

"K2040D2011-07-31C32F16B"
"K2041D2011-08-31C16F28W"

C is CPU (16 aka 8086 or 32 AKA 80386)

F is FAT (16 or 28)

W and B are compilers (or is Boreland now dead ?).