At 03:52 AM 4/24/2004 +0200, Bernd Blaauw wrote:
another challenge might be to check 4KB blocks of upper memory if they can be used for
EMM386,
>just like UMBPCI (specifically: the UMBCHK program) does.
>current EMM386 sticks to 16KB blocks, current UMBCHK also, UMBPCI can use 4KB blocks,
>but I'd like to find out which 4KB blocks :)

Not too much challenge there.  The challenge is supporting <16K blocks.  Even that
wouldn't be horrendously difficult.  I'm dubious about that overall usefulness of the
ability, however.  Why not 2K or 1K?  You could take it all the way down to 1
paragraph (16 bytes), although the memory overhead by then would be more than the
paragraph gained.  And at some point on a graph, the falling line of memory gain
crosses the rising line of potential BIOS memory conflict.

Do people have that many smaller-than-16K holes in the BIOS that can safely be
ascertained as never used by the PC?  The BIOS and EPROMs are fairly big-block
oriented.