Michael Devore schreef:

EMM386 isn't involved in parsing CONFIG.SYS at all, but you can try the emmflesh.zip update if you want to see about the latest.

it sounds like VDS again to me. That has the effect that no more can be read from harddisk, which would explain the error about the cdromdrive, which seems like perfectly fine syntax
(yes, config.sys is buffered first by kernel)

try updating EMM386 first to the version that Michael mentions (see this mailinglist),
then try adding NOVDS

if all fails, try loading UDMA2.SYS after HIMEM but before EMM386

I'm too tired now to confirm the issue, will try to do so tomorrow.

Bernd