On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 09:16, Jim Hall wrote:
> Gerry Hickman wrote:
> > Hi Ray,

> >> No, it is just a shell.
> >
> > What do you mean by "just a shell"?
> >
> >> I don't use it any more but I still have the
> >> batch file to run it.  In one of my older machines it was run from
> >> autoexec.bat.  The line is still there but remed.
> >
> > You mean you booted into MS-DOS 6.22 and then started WfW from within
> > DOS 6.22? If so, I have to ask why??
>
> That's actually how Windows 1.x-3.x worked ... technically, Win95/98
> also worked a similar way, but Microsoft kind of changed things to make
> it not so obvious.
>
> For Windows 3.11 (WFW) you boot into DOS, then you run "win" to start
> Windows.  Think of Windows as being just like Norton File Commander, or
> MS-DOS DOSSHELL.  While Windows had its own device drivers and
> executable file format, Win 1.x-3.0 still used MS-DOS for all basic
> operations.  Windows just sat on top of DOS and managed the
> multitasking.  Windows 3.11 (WFW) stopped using DOS for file i/o, but
> still made pretty heavy use of DOS for other operating system
> functions.  Windows wasn't so much an operating system as an "extension"
> that leveraged DOS to do most of the "behind the scenes" work.  That's
> what Ray means with "just a shell".

Yes, one of the first things I learnt on a A+ techies course I took a few
years ago was that if you fiddled around with Win9x batch files and suchlike,
you could have some quite interesting things happening - including setting
Win9x to boot to command.com instead of the Explorer shell.

It's common knowledge.  Microsoft _did_ stuff it up, of course - it made
everything overly complex, and as a result, horribly fragile.

Wesley Parish

Mau ki ana, he aha te mea nui?
You ask, "What is the most important thing?"
Maku ki ana, he tangata, he tangata, he tangata.
I reply, "It is people, it is people, it is people."