Hi,

> > DRDOS has DPMI.  I assume FD could if it doesn't.
>
> What is the exact technical reason you can't start WfW 3.11 from
> FreeDOS? Is it the DPMI thing or something else?

I haven't looked much into this topic, but it cannot be the DPMI, as
when you run "WIN" then Microsoft's nice extender WIN386.EXE or if you
prefer VMM32.VXD (I've always loved the Win95 beta name, DOS386.EXE)
starts.

I guess there's a good reason why MS-DOS responds to the DOS386.EXE
start broadcast (whereas FreeDOS doesn't).

> > For what this is worth, I am able to get FreeDOS with the Q stuff to run
> > on newer MBs - AMD 64 -that fail with DRDOS.
>
> Yes, FreeDOS is great on modern hardware.
>
>  > They don't like EMM386; DR
> > or FD.
>
> Yes, I've posted at great length about this in the past. I use UMBPCI at
> the moment.
>
> > 64 bit is a bit of a jump, but if you will settle for 32 bit - for now -
> > I think we did most of that, it's called OS/2,
>
> Ah OK! Maybe it's time to look again at OS/2.

Well, OS/2 was promoted as "better DOS than DOS", but I don't think
OS/2 is so well documented as to start Free-OS/2 (nice and interesting
attempt if you do :))

Aitor