Hi Eric,

I think the problem with all these mechanisms is that it's too
complicated for the casual user, they also don't know if it's a "bug"
yet until they asked on the newsgroup. The link to "Report bugs" on the
FreeDOS page is instantly hostile, as the introduction starts talking
about problems with email.

I agree with you, however, that the way forward with all of this is to
have very visible links. I'd like to see a link below "Mail lists /
Chat" called "Newsgroups":)

The FAQ is also hostile, especially the navigation! The logo and
branding is not consistent across the site.

The WiKi appears to have "Free Sex" adverts embedded in it!

Eric Auer wrote:
>>> I first found FreeDOS on NNTP (hard to believe?) but I quickly noticed
>>> everyone was using the mailing list instead so I had no choice.
>> That's a thing _I_ can't understand too.
>>
>> I think, closed mailing lists are even more worse than web forums. For
>> every little feedback, e.g., a bug report one has to subscribe first. I
>> really dislike that!
>
> The answer is simple: Use something else than the list. For
> example use Bugzilla or the SF trackers (for feature requests
> and support questions). Or visit IRC. One problem is that the
> creation of new accounts is broken because Bugzilla moved to
> SF.net and cannot send emails from there. There should be very
> clear instructions about that on the Bugzilla start page, like
> "use this form to get Bugzilla access manually" and "you cannot
> make an account for Bugzilla at the moment".
>
> There should also be some very visible link to the SF trackers,
> and there should be a Wiki page about known bugs, oddities and
> workarounds for FreeDOS 1.0, linked in a very visible way from
> the places where you can download FreeDOS 1.0... This page can
> also provide a list of packages which were updated after 1.0 :-).
>
> People can also always mail directly to a group of support
> people. If you use a GIF or PNG to show my email rather than
> using something "spamspiderable", I guess it would be okay
> to add me to that list of "helpdeskers".
>
> Another place to be is the FAQ: It does not automatically
> notify anybody of anything, but you can post questions and
> answers without having to log in. Of course you should
> search the existing FAQ items before adding new ones...
>
> In short, there are several ways to give feedback without
> having to join the list, but they are probably not well
> ad vertised...
>
> Eric

Gerry Hickman (London UK)