This concerns a pure FreeDOS machine (Pentium 120, 16MB) having a 4.3GB hard
drive with a single FAT32 partition created by the CD Installer's partition
and format tools after the drive had been zero-filled.

Except for the few problems I've reported here, things seem to be working
fine with a couple dozen games, Arachne, CD players, networking, and more,
but I wanted to try the DOSFSCK tool for FAT32.

Running DOSFSCK -N C: generates a screen of 5 columns, each "row-field"
entry being of a format like ", 504:20/00" and then under that set of
columnar data:
Not automatically fixing this
malloc: general problems
Aborting

Running DOSFSCK -R C: generates the same screen of data followed by:
1) Copy original to backup
2) Copy backup to original
3) No action
? _
Entering 3 results in:
malloc: general problems
Aborting

I booted with a Win 98 startup disk and ran Scandisk, and it found no
problems.

So it seems both that DOSFSCK is finding problems and is also having a hard
time running, though I don't know what the program output is supposed to
look like.

Where do I start here?

--John Hupp