On Thu, 2007-06-07 at 15:50 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2007-06-06, Grant Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I tried to install FreeDOS 1.0 folling the HOWTO and it appears
> > to have failed rather miserably:
> >
> >  1) The HOWTO says it will create a boot menu that will allow
> >     me to dual-boot.  It didn't.  I can no-longer boot WinMe.
>
> I wiped the WinMe partition and installed FreeDOS from scratch.
>
> >  2) No editors.  emacs can't find it's .ed files, and none of
> >     the "vi" clones is anywhere to be found despite my having
> >     selected them during install.
>
> emacs still doesn't work (no .ed files found), but there's a vi
> at least there's a clone now.
>
> >  3) Two crashes in the first two minutes:
>
> No crashes since the re-install.

BTW:  Hard drives are cheap these days, consider installing
      Windows 9x and Freedos on separate physical hard drives
      and using a drive tray to switch back and forth at least
      during the setup stage.

> My conclusion is that FreeDOS can't easily share a parition
> with Win9x.

It can, but it doesn't need to, and setup can be a little
tricky.  I don't recommend this.

     Install Windows 9x.

     Create a Windows boot disk.

     Boot 9x in MS-DOS mode and use fips
     to reduce the Windows partition to
     make room for Freedos.
     ** Open an extra 32 megs for XOSL later. **

     Reboot.

     Install Freedos on the second primary
     partition.

     Do a sys d: in Freedos.

     Create a Freedos boot disk.

     Boot up with the Windows boot disk.

     In Windows 9x dos:
        c:\> c:\windows\command\fdisk.exe c: /MBR

     Reboot with Freedos boot disk.

     Install XOSL to 32 meg hidden partition
     with smart boot manager and Ranish.

     Reboot and XOSL pops up.

     Set up menu items for Windows 9x and Freedos.

NOTE:
It's easier to set up the Windows 2000 bootloader NTLDR
to boot Freedos off of a seperate partition.  A command
like this in Linux (say that partition 2 is hda2):

    dd if=/dev/hda2 of bootfreedos.img bs=512

will give you a Freedos bootsector in a file.

You copy that file to the root of the 2000 partition
and edit 2000's boot.ini to load Freedos using the
bootsector file.

As long as 2000 is on an NTFS filesystem, your Freedos
system will work without any drive letter hiccups.

*** Freedos has a way to write a bootsector to a file
    without using Linux through the Freedos sys
    command.

2) No editors.

  * For the vi problem, you need to fix the PATH variable.

    PATH=%PATH%;C:\FDOS\VIM\VIM70\

    is probably to what you need to add to AUTOEXEC.BAT.

 ** c:\fdos\bin\edit.exe

*** I assume you are hiding the 9x partition using XOSL so
    that your drive letters aren't screwed up.

     Michael Robinson