This may be similar to issues I'm having on my local drive as well.
For some reason, after a while, any files I write/copy/move/open in an
editor/ ..., wind up being unviewable at all.  They will show up in a
directory listing, but any attempt to open/copy/move/edit/anything at
all simply tells me file not found.
I too am using large disk support (30GB drive as one partition) (I
didn't do that, it was already configured that when I got the laptop,
and I didn't bother to change it when installing freedos) and of
course, share is loaded.
Also, with this problem, I've noticed that when doing a dir/w, the new
line that should appear between file listings and their stats (I.E. 17
files, 12,300 bites) is not present when the file system begins to
misbehave.
Whether that hels pin anything down or not, I don't know, I've not had
a look at the source just yet to see where it's located.  Someone that
is a lot more familiar with the code may have a suggestion as to what
may be causing it though.
But, my guess is our problems are related, even if not exactly
identical.