I must apologize for posting the source code below; I meant to post this
question to the FreeBasic group rather than the FreeDOS group, but you still
gave me some things to tryl.

A bit more on this, though, after some more investigation:  the exact same
program, not even recompiled, works just fine under ms-dos, but not freedos.
I'll do some more detailed comparison on the boot images to see what (if
anything; they were supposed to be otherwise identical) is different between
the two other than the DOS version.