I'm no authority on it, but my experience with using FreeDOS as a file server
was not encouraging.  I used the MS networking services that came with WFW
3.11, and it was functional but unacceptably slow.  At the time (a few months
ago), nobody had a suggestion of a faster set of server libraries, so I gave up
on it and went to a different OS.

How much RAM do those machines have?  If at least 128MB and you have some
unused copies of windows XP lying around, that configuration has worked pretty
well for me as a low end file server (for logging over the network mostly), and
would probably be ok for archiving as well.  With essentially no user
applications running, 128MB is enough for XP to act as a file server.