Hi!

> ... endeavor to use FreeDOS to run older machines with K6-2

No problem.

> processors [typically 400-500mHz], using a RAID card
> and making some large storage

Only hardware RAID supported (RAID card) but not software
RAID. Also only FAT supported, no journaling or otherwise
feature-rich, safe or high performance file systems. Plus
the disk size limit is 2 Terabyte even if you combine a
few smaller disks to a virtual disk via RAID. The virtual
disk still is limited to 2 Terabyte... Quite a bit if you
ask me, of course :-). I am just moving myself from 500GB
3.5in to 200GB 2.5in because it is smaller, fast enough,
more silent, more cool, saves energy... and because I had
no useful data to fill the 500GB anyway ;-). I mean no ISO
just well-compressed but good quality a/v and images :-).

> to archive data on over a network?

I would say the performance of DOS for serving networked
filesystems is really low. You should use a Linux instead.

Even better - saving space, cost and electricity! - would
be using one of those embedded NAS devices. Basically you
get something similar to the usual USB harddisk cases but
it has a network plug instead of USB. Put a harddisk in it
and you have your network storage server :-).

> reasonably fast with Linux.  When Debian stopped supporting the K6
> processor, they were not very usable. I was told to try an older
> version...

Dunno, I used SuSE 6.4 and 8.x and 9.3 with my own K6-2,
and I would assume that at least XUbuntu 6.10 still runs
with it if you keep the eye candy low or disable the GUI.
There are also quite a few less-big-name distros which
target old hardware :-). Talking about Ubuntu... I have
the feeling that 8.10 does not work perfectly on Centrino
maybe they think that is too old? :-p So I guess you are
right when you say that newest Debian has K6 CPU issues.
I also remember SuSE having problems on Cx686 (no MMX, no
TSC, but Pentium style), often needed manual tweaks such
as reminding it to use 386/387-compat kernels or alternate
boot CDs and stuff...

Anyway - I guess an embedded NAS disk housing would be the
best choice. Old or tuned Linux second and DOS third. For
DOS networking, check the link page on FreeDOS.org and in
particular the "lazybrowndog" page by Uli Hansen. For NIC
drivers, the Crynwr and Sioux pages and NwDsk are good :-).

Eric