For demonstration purposes I created a fdos.bin. I would like to send it
to the list but I don't think sending files to the list will work or is
warm welcomed. It's a generic file you can use to chainboot finally
kernel.sys. If you want it tell me and I send it private.

In boot.ini you just need to add one more line:
C:\fdos.bin="Start FreeDOS generic bootable binary"

Also starting fdos.bin from any other bootmanager which can boot binarys
should be possible, such as grub legacy.

How I made it?
It's a joke, I've used a hex editor and modified the hardcoded
"default.lst" inside grldr. I think I simply failed to describe what I
mean but this file shows it hopefully without misunderstandings.

-mr