> Note that this would mean that you have to find the sources
> of ELTORITO.SYS - nu2.nu says it is now free / unmaintained
> but sources are not yet public -  and add ELTORITO and also
> SHSUCDX into the kernel itself.  Otherwise you will be able
> to boot the kernel,  but will not be able to load any other
> file from CD/DVD [...]

As I said CD no-emulation booting support requires GRUB4DOS or some other
boot loader anyway. So why bother?

> PS: Comment on your other binary formats, combined COM-SYS is
> evil

Well, it turns out to work. If it doesn't on some DOS I can come up with
missing MS-DOS compatibility. (It would only affect the driver loading
anyway, the executable would still work.)

> while combined EXE-SYS can even be UPXed with newer UPX.

But you can't combine EXE-SYS-FlatKernel, because stuffing code and the MZ
header into the same file location is (I assume) impossible. (And thinking
about how to make kernels (!) compatible with UPX probably isn't that
important. Better write some new utility that compresses selected parts of
the kernel and customize it for each kernel, instead of customizing each
kernel for some or another UPX hack.)

> However, for a kernel, neither DEVICE nor DOS executable file
> format make much sense... You already say that the only thing
> done by RxDOS when loaded that way is showing some message ;-)

This might change. Renaming the kernel file to RXDOS.COM, the executable
part could load some other part of the executable (probably behind the
image required to boot the kernel*) containing a program for configuration
or status display. This would be quite useful because it could (after
aborting if the kernel version found in the file isn't running) contain
things very specific to the kernel version. Because the file would be
needed to boot the kernel anyway, it would usually be accessible and
couldn't be confused with another version (which would abort on another
version of the kernel).

YES it is spelled "RxDOS" with a small letter "x" ;-)

* Currently limited to 64 KiB in size, but could be increased to 128 KiB.

Christian