On this topic, I've compiled dmsdosfs 0.9.2.3-pre2 with DJGPP and had
some success.  the executables are mcdmsdos, dcread, and dmsdosfsck.
I tested with a drvspace-compressed floppy created by MS-DOS and I can
extract some files but not all from it.  Earlier dmsdosfs versions
also included an alpha mkdmsdosfs utility to create a compressed
filesystem, but it was removed for some reason.  I tested that also
and it seems to need an existing compressed filesystem to be able to
create new ones.  I find it interesting that dmsdos is supposed to be
able to read and write from doublespace, drivespace, drivespace 3,
stacker 3, and stacker 4 drives.