> Ages ago there where some discussions about DOSzilla (Mozilla Firefox
> for DOS) but the project was never released and is dead.
> Firefox for DOS would be a killer application, pretty cool.

I remember the suggestion coming in from time to time but I also
remember the insane dependencies firefox needs...

$ apt-cache depends firefox-3.0 | grep Depends
  Depends: debianutils
  Depends: fontconfig
  Depends: libatk1.0-0
  Depends: libc6
  Depends: libcairo2
  Depends: libgcc1
  Depends: libglib2.0-0
  Depends: libgtk2.0-0
  Depends: libnspr4-0d
  Depends: libpango1.0-0
  Depends: libstdc++6
  Depends: psmisc
  Depends: xulrunner-1.9

In short, you need some Unicode compatible GUI
with GTK, more or less half of the Gnome GUI...

Once you add that, either your Firefox or your
DOS will be a few 100 megabytes or similar ;-).
Of course including most complexity as well.

> Also Arachne as 32 bit could be pretty cool, look at dr webspyoder or
> lineo embrowser (arachne forks), them start much faster and feel much
> smoother.
>
> After almost 10 years of Arache being Open Source the "development"
> fatally failed, I think you need to be a hardcore optimist to except to
> come a 32 bit version ever.

I agree that Arachne needs some more life. I mean
this is an open source story. We are not only the
spectators by definition. New people can gather to
take the existing Arachne and build a 32 bit one.

>> a word processor like Abiword, FOSS USB
>> drivers, ...

Maybe we could start a search for a word processor
where porting has good chances... I mean not like
OpenOffice, more s.th. small with few dependencies.

$ apt-cache depends openoffice.org-writer openoffice.org-core | grep
Depends | sort | uniq
  Depends: fontconfig
  Depends: libc6
  Depends: libcairo2
  Depends: libcurl3
  Depends: libdb4.6
  Depends: libexpat1
  Depends: libfreetype6
  Depends: libgcc1
  Depends: libglib2.0-0
  Depends: libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0
  Depends: libgstreamer0.10-0
  Depends: libgtk2.0-0
  Depends: libhunspell-1.1-0
  Depends: libice6
  Depends: libicu38
  Depends: libjpeg62
  Depends: libldap-2.4-2
  Depends: libneon27
  Depends: libnspr4-0d
  Depends: libnss3-1d
  Depends: libpam0g
  Depends: libpango1.0-0
  Depends: libsm6
  Depends: libssl0.9.8
  Depends: libstdc++6
  Depends: libwpd8c2a
  Depends: libwps-0.1-1
  Depends: libx11-6
  Depends: libxaw7
  Depends: libxext6
  Depends: libxinerama1
  Depends: libxml2
  Depends: libxrender1
  Depends: libxslt1.1
  Depends: libxt6
  Depends: libxtst6
  Depends: openoffice.org-base-core
  Depends: openoffice.org-common
  Depends: openoffice.org-core
  Depends: python-uno
  Depends: ttf-opensymbol
  Depends: zlib1g

$ apt-cache depends abiword | grep Depends | sort | uniq
  Depends: abiword-common
  Depends: libart-2.0-2
  Depends: libatk1.0-0
  Depends: libc6