Hi Petr!

On Saturday 04 April 2009 20:53, Petr Ullmann wrote:
> I would like to start with translation of FreeDOS to czech language.
> Where can I find some informations about way of FreeDOS translations or
> informations about translation project?

In fact, there isn't much you have to know, translating stuff in FreeDOS is
really easy :-)
All you have to to, is set two variables in your system:
SET LANG=CZ
SET NLSPATH=C:\FREEDOS\NLS\  (obviously, you will have to adjust this one)

Then, all NLS-aware applications will start looking into your NLSPATH to check
if they can find a translation file for your language.
A simple test you could do is to type "MEM" in your default configuration, then
set the language to, say, french (by setting the two variables above), and
check "mem" again. You will notice that the language change is taken into
account instantly :)

However, translating the shell is a bit more touchy, as it requires some
partial recompilation + appending a trailer on the binary file... You will have
to download the source package containing the kernel, and retrieve english.lng
and english.err files, and translate all which is between ":" and "." of each
section. If I remember correctly, this package contained also tools to compile
translations, but I can't help you much there, as I have done that last time 4
years ago, and I completely forgot all the techy details...

Anyway, the very first thing to do is retrieving all *.en files from
http://www.viste-family.net/mateusz/fdlang/EN/ , and translate them into your
language, changing the extension to ".cz". Don't hesitate to send me any file
you could have done, that way I will be able to put it into my repository.
Then, when all *.en files will be done, we will see for Kernel translation. ;-)

Best regards,
Mateusz Viste

--
You'll find my public OpenPGP key at http://www.viste-family.net/mateusz/pub_key