> It appears that any binary package installed on FreeDOS goes to /BIN. Besides
> that, there's no clear directive about "how to install 3rd party apps".

It should be %DOSDIR%\bin

> I would propose the following rules:
> - Any DOS replacement stuff (move, tree, format...) goes to \BIN\
> - Any system enhacement (grep, ls, pcisleep, cwsdpmi, fdupdate...) goes to
> \SBIN\

Why?  This would mean that the %PATH% variable would need to be longer.

> - Any 3rd party program (SEAL, Arachne, FreeBASIC, MPXPLAY...) goes to
> $apps\programs\

Currently in FD1.0 , seal goes in %DOSDIR%\seal, arachne in
%DOSDIR%\arachne, etc...  MPXPlay only has a single binary (plus
possibly dlls), so I would package that to go in %DOSDIR%\bin.

> - Any 3rd party game (Doom...) goes to $apps\games\

Games in FD 1.0 go in %DOSDIR%\games\gamename, so similar idea.