On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Adam Norton <usul.the.mo...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Windows 3x Issues
>
> I was reading the Undocumented Dos book and according to it Win 3.x goes
> to extraordinary lengths to insure that the operating system it is
> running on os MSDos and not one of the alternatives.
> Plus it replaces parts of DOS while running. (Either for underhanded as
> the book hints at or legitimate concerns it doesn't matter at this point)
> This probably some of the reason for the problems. Win 3.x will probably
> never be 100% on FreeDos, nor will a compatible Win 3.x GUI ever be 100%.
>
> I have been researching what it would take to make a Win 3.x compatible
> GUI. I wanted to write a GUI might as well make one that is useful,
> there are enough new ones out there that
> are new. I think its possible, and in the long run its probably better.
> If one runs the Win 3.x /FreeDos then is the GUI/OS
> that will be unstable. If there is a compatible GUI,  then it should be
> the "hopefully" rare application that is unstable. Better to have a
> stable GUI/OS than I think.
>
> I think this could be done there is plenty of ports out there to either
> use or learn from:
> HX DOS Extender (although there is the lack of license with the source
> code provided.)
> Wine Project for Linux
> Reactos
>
> As for the GUI again plenty out there
> NanoX & wxWidgets

I think Nano-X is a good thing to choose, but for the widgets UI base, I
would instead suggest Qt. Qt is more stable, so less reason to possibly fork
it. Plus, it's just a CSS file away from being restyled to look like Windows
3.1x!

Plus, Qt is a complete framework, so you could literally implement the
entire API as a front end to Qt itself, which would increase portability.

First: http://www.guidebookgallery.org/screenshots/win311fw ( :P)
Second: http://www.weblust.com/winbible/BibleTop.html
Third: http://eburl.net/8958b

> Any thoughts, advice, windows 3.1 programming SDK, documentation would
> most helpful.
>
> usul

I do have a copy of the Windows 3.1 programming SDK on a backup disc, which
came with a copy of MSVC 1.52c.... Maybe that would help?
Also, a few links to help ya out:
One: http://eburl.net/8b1e6f
Two: http://eburl.net/275fe
Three: http://eburl.net/ce66