Hi Jim,

> I disagree with your "No, but you could say it is stable enough"
> statement. The kernel needs to work reliably. Today, we have two
> branches of the FreeDOS kernel: 2036 stable, and 2037 devel
> (unstable). That shouldn’t be ok, yet somehow we’ve convinced
> ourselves this is acceptable. Having two versions of the kernel,
> where the most recent branch is effectively “broken”, is what’s
> keeping us from moving forward.

> Is there a developer on the lists here who has an interest in kernel
> programming? We need someone who is willing to dig into the code and
> fix the kernel so we finally have a latest version that's more
> "stable". Is it easier to start with 2036 and re-add the features from
> 2037? Or is it better to fix the broken parts from 2037, to release a
> (working) 2038 version? I lack the skill to do any kernel development,
> so I never tried. I’m hoping someone with the necessary energy and
> enthusiasm can work it out.

The current numbering is that "stable plus patches" will be
2038 while unstable is 2037 (next unstable will be 2039)...
Both branches are based on kernel 2035 and for a while they
even both used 2035 as version number(s), unfortunately.

While it does not have a SF file release yet, 2038 combines
stable 2036 kernel with patches that fix bugs, increase the
stability or add small, non-experimental features. It could
be released at any time if necessary, but there are some doc
updates and small patches what would suit it well :-).

The 2037 unstable branch, on the other hand, contains a big
number of sometimes complex or unstable patches... A partial
list aimed at giving programmers an overview is in the wiki:

http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/freedos/index.php?title=Unstable_Kernel_Branch

Any help with making this list more complete is welcome and
would be useful both as starting point for people who want to
make unstable more stable or add new experimental features in
unstable as well as for people who want to backport some of
the things from unstable into stable.

I think that unstable is too different and too unstable to get
a merge soon, but we can work on BOTH branches. For example we
can port COUNTRY SYS support from unstable to stable, and the
various bugfixes in stable since Jeremy vanished can be ported
into the unstable branch while others can start reviewing and
cleaning up code in unstable to get it back in view... On the
other hand, it might also be an option to keep unstable only
for reference and use it as a pool of potential patches which
can be put into stable after careful review. As soon as that
pool "got fished empty", unstable could be abandoned if there
are no developers who can give unstable a real future by then.

Eric