>> Theoretically, freedos could support an open source replacement.
>
> And in my opinion, the only involvement FreeDOS should have is to
> ensure that any such open source project would have access to whatever
> they need to run, just like any other DOS application. That is, it
> should be a separate project.

I agree here. A new GUI should not run exclusively on FreeDOS, because
that's the Microsoft approach. Ideally, all programs should run on MS-DOS
(or DR-DOS or...) as well, or failing that there should exist an adjusted
version or a driver that makes the program work on the other DOS versions.
I think asking the FreeDOS (kernel) developers to provide technical
information about DOS, while not tying the program to FreeDOS specifics,
would be most useful to achieve this.

Speaking of a Windows replacement, it could be handy to use some of the
Windows (3.x) support already embedded into MS-DOS (this is all
undocumented by Microsoft, but became "documented undocumented" by UDOS,
RBIL and other sources).

Regards,
Christian